Sunday, October 16, 2016

Project TPM day one.

Yesterday, was my official Day Zero tackling a long held goal.  I've wanted to learn how to program for a very long time, but I'm great at finding excuses.

After several false starts, and even some mediocre work, it's time to get serious. I have committed to learning how to code. (AutoHotKey scripting just isn't enough any more)

With the consistent motivation and support from a great friend and Mentor, I've been learning Python.  Up to now, most of my efforts have been on the static education side using How To Think Like A Computer Scientist : Interactive Edition.   This was a recommendation from my Mentor and I must agree that it is a fantastic resource. The exercises are very much worth doing.

Yesterday represents the first real day that I've sat down in front of my text editor and plodded through code creation on my own.  (I've attempted the introduction course through Coursea (Rice University IIRC)) twice.  While I believe that course to be exceptional, I could not maintain the cadence required to keep up.   It's still on my ToDo list. That might actually qualify as recursion...

I'm not sure where to go from here (writing wise).
Should I outline my project?
Should I walk through my mistakes and how I fixed them?
Would it be useful for me to post actual code?

Most of the mistakes I've made this far were syntactical.  Print vs print  etc.
Hmm...   only 46 lines of code (with about 25% of that psudocode or comments)

Is that a good start, or not?



Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue...
2016-10-16
MDux

No comments:

Post a Comment